The Spanish Language & Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is sure to make your language abilities skyrocket! This program is designed for international students that are looking to take most of their courses in Spanish, but at a level for non-native speakers – providing you with the perfect balance of challenge and comfort!
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is the oldest and largest university in the region of Catalonia with over 90,000 students. The UB has always placed an importance on international relations, and for many years it has been the leader among European universities in hosting international students – with around 5,000 enrolled annually.
The UB offers an Estudios Hispanicos program, with classes that reflect Spanish and Latin American culture from different perspectives. Students will be able to choose from courses in English and Spanish that approach topics such as the history, geography, art, literature, politics, and economics… all of which will explore local culture.
While students have the option to take classes in English, this program is especially designed for those students seeking the deepest immersion in the Spanish language. This means that in addition to Spanish through language classes, most of the elective courses at UB are available in Spanish but with levels adapted for non-native Spanish speakers. This makes this program very appealing to the students that are willing to take their language skills to the next level.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) and Barcelona SAE have worked hard to create a study abroad program that allows you to earn credits in your major, minor, or electives. The courses are especially designed for international students, meaning that you will be able to take courses in English and/or have the advantage of learning in Spanish at a pace for non-native or fluent speakers.
The Universitat de Barcelona (UB) is recognized by the Spanish Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution of higher learning. After completing a Barcelona SAE program at the UB, the transcript will be sent directly to the student’s home institution.
Before you go abroad, Barcelona SAE strongly recommends that you meet with the study abroad office and/or your academic advisor at your home institution. After your acceptance into the program, you will be required to submit a “Approval Contact for Study Abroad” form that will automatically inform your home institution of your intent to participate on a Barcelona SAE program. With that said, we suggest that students are as transparent as possible about their plans and make an appointment with their study abroad office immediately after submitting their Barcelona SAE application.
The earlier that students plan for their study abroad experience, the easier it will be to get all of their courses pre-approved and know exactly what transfer credit will be received at their home institution. Please remember that it is best to get multiple first and second choice courses pre-approved for your Barcelona SAE program, as this will give you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Don’t just think about the courses that are required for your major or minor, but also courses that can fulfill your general education or elective requirements.
Your courses will be taught in Spanish or English and will primarily be lectures with some teamwork involved. Students will be in class at the UB with other international students.
During a semester at UB, students can choose between two different options. Please visit our website for more information.
- Option One: 12 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Two Elective Courses
- Option Two: 15 Credits – 110 Hour Spanish Language Class + Three Elective Courses
- Spanish Language – A1
- Spanish Language – A1.2
- Spanish Language – A2
- Spanish Language – B1
- Spanish Language – B2
- Spanish Language – C1-C2
- Barcelona Mediterranean Metropolis
- Cine Español
- Conversar en Español
- Cortometrajes del Cine Español
- Escribir en Español
- España Actual
- España y Europa
- Español Hablado en Situaciones Cotidianas
- Español para la Economía y los Negocios
- Geografía de España
- Historia del Arte Español – 1
- Historia del Arte Español – 2
- Lectura de Textos Breves
- Lengua y Cultura Catalanas
- Spanish Politics
- Spain’s Economy Highlights
- Viaje Literario por España
- Please note that not all courses listed above will be offered every semester, and the list above are courses and/or subject areas that have been offered in the past by the host institution. Institutions in Barcelona often do not finalize course listings until the beginning of the term, and as such, this list will be updated as the host institution provides additional information.
- For a complete listing of courses that will occur during your specific semester abroad at the UB, please contact your Barcelona SAE Advisor.
The Hispanic Studies Semester Program at the UB Includes:
Countdown to Barcelona:
While in Barcelona:
Cultural & Social Activities:
- UB Tuition and Fees
- Official University Transcript from Universitat de Barcelona
- Airport Pick-Up (Must Arrive BEFORE 12:00pm on Program Start Date)
- Logistical & Cultural Orientations
- Housing for the Duration of Program (Homestays include Breakfast/Dinner!)
- Comprehensive Medical & Accident Insurance through CISI
- 24-Hour Emergency Support
- English-Speaking Staff
- The Barcelona SAE Bucket List
- A Weekend Excursion Outside of Barcelona (Zaragoza, Seville, Granada, Basque Country, etc.)
- Optional Weekend Excursion to Morocco (Additional Cost Applies)
- Multiple Day Trips Outside of Barcelona (Tarragona, Girona, Montserrat, Figures, Besalú, etc.)
- Weekly Cultural Agenda (The Local Perspective of What’s Happening Each Week!)
- Weekly Cultural Activities (Cooking Classes, Dance Lessons, Intercambios, Barrio Tours, and MORE!)
- Cultural Mentor Program
- Welcome Activity
- Re-Entry Workshop & Farewell Meal
For Continued Success After the Program:
…and SO MUCH MORE!
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Opportunity to Apply for Barcelona SAE’s “Best of the Best” Internship Program
- Opportunity to Apply to be a “Barcelona SAE Campus Ambassador Intern” on Your Home Campus
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
The Program Does Not Include:
- Round-Trip Airfare to/from Barcelona
- Visa Costs (If Applicable)
- Mobile Phones & Charges
- Local Transportation
- Personal Items
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!
Note: This program is a Non-CU Denver program, also referred to as a Third Party Provider Program. Before beginning this application, you must meet with an advisor in the Office of Global Education to discuss the process of studying abroad on a non-CU Denver program. You can schedule an appointment here