- Enjoy salsa dancing lessons with locals at the beach
- Discuss the challenge faced by tech start-ups, and other entrepreneurs as they seek opportunities for innovation
- Experience the charm, history, architecture and Afro-Cuban sounds of the 400 year-old "Old City" of Havana while riding in a classic "57 Chevy"
- Share ideas with students and professors from the Universidad de la Habana (Founded in 1728), it is one of the oldest Universities in the Americas.
- Visit the Vinales Valle National Monument in the Cuban countryside
This course will take students to Havana, Cuba one of the most vibrant, energetic, and most historically fascinating cities in the western hemisphere. By visiting Havana, Vinales, and Trinidad students will experience the richness of the Cuban culture, the beauty of its beaches and countryside, and the warmth of its people while learning about the critical role entrepreneurship is playing in today’s emerging Cuban economy.
Students will also gain an understanding of the complex political and economic system of one of our closest neighbors as it tries to embrace normalized relations with the world's largest economy. Visits to the Cuban countryside, the University of Havana, a tobacco farm, a walking tour of "The Old City" will be wrapped around presentations by Cuban economists, entrepreneurs and artists for a fascinating 13 days.
You can read more about what past students learned on the program here.
- 3 Credits
- ENTP 4028 / 6028
- MGMT 4028 / 6028
- Two two-hour seminar sessions in Denver prior to departure
- Winter cost: TBD
- Included: tuition and fees, shared accommodations, entrance fees, most meals, ground transportation, and international health and evacuation insurance
- Not included: international airfare, some meals, personal expenses, visa fees (if applicable)
Passports and Visas
- All students must have a valid passport from their country of citizenship. It is highly recommended that you ensure that your current passport is valid for at least six months after the program's end date.
- Please review the Visas and Study Abroad document and research visa requirements for this program's host country.
Faculty Leader: Barry McConnell
First of all, I enjoy teaching. I consider it a privilege to share the classroom with my students. My style is somewhat informal but organized, and I encourage interaction. I expect students to stay on top of their reading so that lectures can be used to broaden a student's understanding of the material. So, I'm not a straight from the book lecturer. I always try to mix in a few of life's little lessons into the lecture. Because I believe that effective written communication is vital to success in the world of business, I like to include several writing assignments in my courses. The bulk of my 35 year professional career has been in corporate IT consulting services focusing on outsourced HR and financial reporting solutions.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
CU Denver students may be able to use their existing financial aid for Global Study programs. Note that Maymester programs are considered part of the Summer term for financial aid. For more information and to discuss your personal aid package, contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at 303.315.1850 or email@example.com.
Please add “Study Abroad” to the subject heading when sending emails to the above email address, as this will ensure that your message is routed to a study abroad financial aid advisor. You can also schedule an online appointment to meet with a Financial Aid advisor.
CU Denver Global Education Scholarship
Degree-seeking CU Denver|Anschutz students participating on a CU Denver Global Study program during the Maymester, Summer, or Winter terms are eligible to apply for this $1000 scholarship from the Office of Global Education. Verify eligibility criteria, application requirements, deadlines, and start an application here.
CU Denver World Within Your Reach Scholarship
Degree-seeking CU Denver|Anschutz students participating on a CU Denver Global Study program during the Maymester, Summer, or Winter terms are eligible to apply for this scholarship from the Office of Global Education. This scholarship will cover the full program cost, international airfare, and passport fees for a limited number of recipients per year. Verify eligibility criteria, application requirements, and start an application here. The deadline for the summer application cycle is January 31, 2019.
We encourage you to seek additional scholarships for which you or your program may be eligible. See if your academic department or college/school offers study abroad scholarships, or visit the following websites to learn about external funding: